My cat is walking with his head at a tilt

My cat has all of his shots caught up and is taken care of very well. We found him living in our furnace after an ice storm over a year ago. He goes outside for a day or two at a time then comes home and stays for awhile before he has to go back outside and roam. One month ago he came home after being gone for a day or two, walking as if he wanted to fall, after a week of being taking care of by us he eats and drinks fine but doesn't want to go outside and still walks with his head at a tilt. Its like his balance is messed up bad!!! he doesn't jump on and off the bed without falling or being limited. What could be wrong. We don't have the money for a vet bill right now. Any body know what it could possibly be? I love titty tat (his name) and I just need to know what is wrong with him.

Asked by Member 942228 on Sep 16th 2010 in Health & Wellness

Best Answer

I know you said you don't have funds for the doc right now and that's what everyone is telling you to do. Unfortunately, we are not vets here and there is no way we can tell you what's wrong with TT. Even if we WERE vets, we still couldn't (and shouldn't) guess what's wrong with him. Because he's an outside cat, there are many things that could have happened to him from an ear infection to being hit by someone who doesn't care for cats. If you have a good relationship with a vet, they may accept a payment plan. I don't know of any vet who will turn away a sick cat.
Good luck!

Izadore (Izzie) answered on Sep 17th.

Answers

Boo Bear

You need to take him to the vet. Thats the only way to treat anything he has. I can tell you possiblities but your vet is the only one to diagnose and treat.

possible problems.. . .
Ear infections or mites

-Idiopathic (unknown cause)

-Foreign bodies such as grass seeds

-Head trauma

-Ototoxic drugs (drugs that are toxic to the ear)

-Punctured ear drum

-Hypothyroidism (underactive thyroid)

-Encephalitis (inflammation of the brain)

-Cancer

Boo Bear answered on 9/16/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sparky

Definitely see the vet. One of our cats, Holly, developed something called 'Vestibular Syndrome'. She came home one summer night and was falling over with her tilted to one side and was drooling. We took her to the animal ER - we thought it was a stroke. They examined her and told us that it was Vestibular Syndrome. I recommend you google it because it would take to long to explain.

It's not a serious condition and in Holly's case, was treated with Prednisone and an antihistamine. It took a week or so to clear up and she now walks with a slight tilt to her head (we lovingly call her 'Tilly Tilton'). She is very healthy otherwise, but is prone to having a setback. This is NOT a fatal conditioln! It took Holly a loooong time to get her balance back, so be patient... if this is what it is! It's very treatable and inexpensive to treat too.

However... I am NOT a vet and am only giving you my opinion. Best of luck - see how much it costs to do a quick check at the vet!

Sparky answered on 9/16/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I had a cat that did that, he had an ear infection. I am on a fixed income, so I checked with the SPCA and vets. My cat had developed a polyp and then cancer. It spread to his brain and I had to have him put to sleep. Ask around, animal shelters and vets may be able to work with you or even be willing to treat your kitty for a reduced rate. Many use payment plans too, even some shelters may provide vet care for people with low income. He does need to be seen though, to prevent suffering. Also try vet colleges. Hope everything works out.

Tempest * Angel, Rainbow Bridg

Hello, my cat tempest fell from the second floor balcony when she was being chased by Snickers when tempest was a kitten and she landed on her head, causing severe trama. Your kitty may have some sort if trama happen to Him.. it could be anything. Unfortuantly, Now in days with the economy being bad most vets dont take payment plans. I know first hand as in state i live in NO vet takes payment plans. You may want to invest in Pet insurance. its a credit card that helps You pay for Vet visits and surgeries.. can also use in on humas too for certain needs. Ask Your local vet for more information.

Tempest * Angel, Rainbow Bridg answered on 9/21/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer