My cat is very lethargic, he won't eat, he won't move, and he is howling at random times. Please help.

My cat Harry is usually very quiet, never meowing at all. He is laid-back, and likes to sleep, but lately that's all he's been doing. About a day ago he began to refuse to eat, only drinking water but then throwing it up later. He's become quite lazy, not moving at all. He throws up everything he drinks, and right now won't drink or eat anything. He's been meowing - or howling - at random times, and will move a little shakily. I think he can't feel his legs or something similar to that. He's also lost fur around his but and back legs. Please tell me what you think it may be, and how I can help him.

Asked by Member 804133 on Feb 13th 2009 in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

Please see a vet. Sounds like to me Harry is very sick and needs help. Cats that dont drink become very dehydrated quickly and their organs shut down. Please Please go to a vet and dont wait.

Please remember that we are not vets here and without seeing and/or knowing your cat, there is no way we could even guess at what's wrong with him. Even if we could, you should not use our "guess" as a substitute for professional veterinary care. If you can't afford to take Harry to a vet, please check with your local animal shelter or an animal rescue because sometimes they have vets or know of vets who will treat Harry at a reduced cost or let you work out a payment plan. Harry is very sick and he needs to go to the doctor's right away.

You don't say how old Harry is, but what really matters is what the other posters have said: he needs to go to a vet. Like, now. To be perfectly frank, it sounds like he's dying. Scared? Then do what you can to take him to the vet. He may very well have a condition that can be treated--you may very well be able to save his life. But if you don't take him to the vet for professional care, I'd say that Harry is not going to do very well.

Chibi answered on 2/13/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Xander

I just wanted to see how poor Harry was doing. I hope he got checked out by the vet and is doing ok. :(

Xander answered on 2/14/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer