My cat is very aggressive towards strangers, but extremely affectionate towards my family and I. Why so aggressive?

She was bottle fed and neutered but not declawed. We got her from a shelter when she was a couple weeks old, along with another cat who was a couple months old. They are both indoor cats and have always been. When she gets aggressive, she circles my feet and rubs up against my legs while hissing and growling at the stranger. We've had her for three or four years and two years ago we moved houses, and had to confine them to my room, whereas in my old house the had the whole house to play in. My other cat loves people and always wants his belly to be scratched.

Asked by Member 1144611 on Dec 10th 2012 in Aggression

Answers

My sister-in-law learned the hard way that Izzie doesn't like strangers and now I tell people not to try to pick him up and to just ignore him if he puts in an appearance. You may simply have to put your cat in another room when you entertain or have visitors, epecially children, and let the other cat be Mr. Personality. It would be very difficult, at her age, to completely transform her into a lap kitty with strangers. And, if a visitor makes the wrong move, she might react with teeth or claws. If she remains confined even now, that will make her more antisocial, but that may have to be that way. In this situation, your best offense is a good defense. Just tell people to leave her alone and when she starts rubbing up against you and growling, tell her "NO!" and walk away.