Daisy

My cat is taking her poop out of the litter box, any ideas why?

My cat Daisy is about 2 years old . Such a good cat not any problem. We had a dog for a short time and they were in love , slept together , played.. true love haha. but the dog was not able to stay with us , and I think the cat is upset that the Dog is gone. My cat is now taking her poop out of the litter box and putting it all over the house, usually in the room that I am in. she doesn't Always do it, because there is some poop in the little box. I clean it as much as usual , same litter. Same box. same food. I recently after this started tried to clean the box more ( every time she uses it) and took the top off the litter box. Its not working. Any ideas??

Asked by Daisy on Mar 3rd 2008 in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Best Answer

Even if she doesn't eat the poop, only moves it around, you can probably put things on it that will make it less attractive. You can get things online to make her not want to do this. You can also get her toys and make her poop less attractive--like those "fishing pole" type toys with feathers and laser toys. Maybe if you distract her, she'll be better about fishing in the litter box...

Izadore (Izzie) answered on Mar 3rd.

Answers

Have you talked with your vet about her maybe having a medical condition? I would rule that out first, then if there is nothing wrong with her it is probably a behavior problem.

If she is stressed from the dog leaving, you can try using some Feliway spray or a diffuser to reduce stress.

Mysty (The Princess)

Sounds like she is mad at you. I'd give the house a scrub down to get rid of any dog smells, and use the feliway spray. I'd also give her extra attention and maybe a new and interesting toy. Hopefully in time she will stop.

Mysty (The Princess) answered on 3/3/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Chaucer

It sounds like it could be a behavioral problem caused by the stress of losing a friend. You might consider trying a brand of attracting litte such as Dr. Elsey's Cat Attract. This might help. Another thing you could consider is a litterbox with a lid on it. This will keep Daisy inside of it and you will be able to find out if she is diliberately pooping outside of the box of if some of it may just be scattering. Good luck with litterbox retraining!

Chaucer answered on 3/3/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer