Donnie

My cat is still nursing her 6 week old kittens and not gaining any weight, what should I do?

My cat is still nursing her 6 week old kittens and not gaining any weight, what should I do. She calls them to her even though they are eating dry food and drinking water. We put them in the other room and they don't seem to care that she isn't there. She eats three bowls a day and still isn't gaining anything, is she ok?

Asked by Donnie on Jan 20th 2014 in Health & Wellness

Answers

Pregnant or nursing cats should be eating kitten food because it has more protein and fat than regular cat food. Make the switch until the kittens are completely weaned, which may help her. Also add water bowls to make sure that she is fully hydrated, and you can feed treats as well, such as Greenies. ^_^ Congrats- please find homes for the babes and then get momma spayed! :) ^_^