my cat is pregnant and due in a week, I have made out a box where she can have her babies but she is not taking to it.

I was wondering if anyone had any idea's to what is good place to prepare in the house to have kittens? I was thinking a box in the cornor of a room and then i can cornor off an area. Also if my cat has her kittens somewhere else, how long do i have to wait before i can move them into the prepared area?

Asked by Member 1138237 on Oct 30th 2012 Tagged kittens in Kittens

Answers

A cat doesn't usually start nesting until a few days before she delivers, so she may take to the box you've fixed for her anyway. Make sure all access to the inside of walls, vents and ceilings, not to mention open doors and windows, is sealed off or closed. When my daughter's foster cat had kittens, we set her up in a spare room with a clean box, food/water, blankets, towels and newspapers. We left the closet door open for her too. If you have a good relationship with your cat and she trusts you, you can check on her every few hours to make sure everything is going OK. She may also let you move the babies to a more convenient or safe spot, but if she hisses at you, leave them alone unless they are in danger. Notify your vet that kitten birth is imminent and ask if they have an emergency phone number. Mom cats are usually very good at birthing and caring for the babies and they don't need our interference. After the kittens find homes, would you consider having her spayed? Thanks!