My cat is not making any stool and is in pain. We have tried all kind of things, nothing has worked. Help?

Hello, my cat Zoe is 8 years old. For a while now she has not been making stool and has been in a lot of pain. We took her to the vet. They did an x-ray and said that she was full of stool. We have tried laxatone, pumpkin, vegetable oil, prednizone, and have just started miralax, and even tried different foods. Switching from all dry food to all canned food. Nothing is working really. She is urinating every once in a while but no stool. her appetite is good and she's drinking water tho not as much as normal. Some days she moves around ok but most of the time she seems to be in a lot of pain and she isn't walking normally either. My husband thinks that we should keep feeding her and give her miralax. I think at this point that we should just fast her for a couple of days, just water, and give her body a chance to regulate itself. I think any little thing we give her is just adding to the problem at this point. I don't really know what to do now. Any advice appreciated. Thanks.

Asked by Member 1153765 on Feb 5th 2013 Tagged nostool, constipated, pain, advice, help in Illness & Disease

Answers

I understand your frustration. Zoe must be absolutely miserable. When you took her to the vet, what was their treatment plan for her? They must have suggested what you should do for Zoe and told you to follow up with them. There are a few medical causes of constipation in cats. One very serious one is called "megacolon" where all the waste material collects in the colon and that's where it stays. No amount of laxatives or other remedies work and there is no cure. The cat must be on a soft diet and be vet supervised all her life. If Zoe were my kitty, I would call her vet, explain what's going on and what you've done for her on her own and tell them you're bringing her back and you need a definite plan of action for her. Even if she has to stay at the vet's for a few days in order for them to treat and monitor her. If you are not satisfied with their diagnoses and treatment, then it's time for you to find another vet.