My cat is making odd noises, and I don't know why.

My cat has recently started making low groaning noises and once, hissing, at my cousin who has arrived from China. He never did this before, even to strangers, and didn't do this the first 4 days my cousin was here. My cousin has not done anything to aggravate the cat, so what is going on? He also made these noises starting 2 days ago when he heard the neighbors talking through the window. Does this have anything to do with it?

Asked by Member 1181066 on Jul 18th 2013 Tagged groaning, noises, hissing, strangers in Noisiness

Answers

Is your cat an only cat? If so, he has become territorial of your home. He does not want any cats or unfamiliar humans within his vicinity. You must give him new toys, treats, a cat bed etc. so he still feels like your #1. Greenies Smartbites are a great choice and come in three different flavors. Have your cousin leave him the treats when he can see her doing so. The cat wasn't growling at first because he thought like most of your other visitors, this one was going to leave rather quickly, not stay (encroach his space). You can improve the situation, but won't be able to change the cat's personality. He is just demonstrating the unpleasantness that he currently feels, which is understandable. ^_^