~♥~ Zed~♥~

My cat is dying. He's 16. He refuses to eat on his own, and I've been force feeding for the past 2 wks.

I can't afford to put him down. So what else can I do? Do I just stop feeding him and let him go on his own? He's terrible skinny and staggers when he walks. I don't know what to do!

Asked by ~♥~ Zed~♥~ on Apr 21st 2008 Tagged dying in Health & Wellness

Best Answer

have you ever been hungry? your poor cat is starving to death. not your fault. he's up there in age and his body is shutting down. the humane thing to do to stop his suffering is to put him down. if it were your child sick you would find the money to take it to a doctor.i dont mean to sound mean but i don't understand how someone who knows there pet is suffering will do nothing about it

answered on Apr 21st.

Answers

Taylor

I don't have an answer for you but , I wanted to say that I am sorry and I will say a prayer for you and your cat .

Taylor answered on 4/21/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

If you are truly in such dire financial straits that you cannot afford this final dignity for your old kitty, then call your local shelter or a humane rescue in your area. They may be able to help. If you have a vet, I can't see them refusing to put your cat down after taking care of him possibly for all his life because you can't pay. They may let you pay it off a little at a time.

Jasmine

I recently went through this too. I had two 18 year old cats that both died within 6 months of each other and their symptoms were the exact same. The first one I took to the vet and paid $450 dollars for NOTHING!!! She died 3 days later. The vet I used at the time tod me it was diabetes and that I needed to give her shots and blah blah blah. I did this for the first day then she totally shut down and I didn't know what to do. She passed away with my husband and I both laying with her and petting her. Then her sister started this same pattern a few months later.I had since found a much better vet and she told me that honesty there was nothing they could do since she was just so old and they let me take my time in deciding weather or not to put her down.I brought her home and hoped she might turn it around but after two weeks that was not happening. She got so weak that I gave in and had her put out of her pain.It only cost $28.I know how hard it is.Just do what is right for You.

Jasmine answered on 4/21/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 4 Report this answer

Dulci (In Loving Memory - you

Ok, people will blast me for this answer, but let them.

Starvation is natural, and actually, it's not overly painful to animals because it is the body's natural way of shutting down. (as opposed to say, an accident, or a broken limb, etc.) The metaolism of the cat takes over and slowly it stops caring, and then dies. Many people believe it is better to let your pet die naturally, if it is not dying from accident.

That being said, I would still think the better answer is to go to a vet, or a shelter and see if anyone can help you. One reason vets won't take payments on euthanasia is that so many people just back out of the deal once the pet is dead.

But humane societies are OBLIGATED to take your pet in even if you cannot afford it. it's in their charter if they are at all associated with the american human society.

Please, as the others have said, look into this!

Dulci (In Loving Memory - you answered on 4/21/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 9 Report this answer

I agree with the above posts--try to find some way to put him to sleep, for his sake and your own peace of mind as well.

However, Dulci has a point. I had two cats who died naturally without having to be put to sleep. They did not appear to suffer; one was in a coma, and the other simply weakened over the course of several hours until he was unconscious, then dead. Also, they were in a dying mode for only 2-3 days each; they died while I was still trying to figure out whether I should have them put to sleep (which is not generally done in our country, anyway).

Also,while this is a bit off topic and somewhat gruesome, when my mother was dying of cancer, we were told by Hospice that it is perfectly natural for the body to refuse all food and liquids as it prepares for death, and that the dying person does not suffer because of this (suffering from pain is something else).

Still, I would advise you to put your sweetie to sleep. We're purring for you.

Chibi answered on 4/21/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

Charley

It's heartbreaking to know your friend is dying, & you feel helpless to make it any better. That said, many shelters will offer a special price to put them out of their misery. When I volunteered at my local spca, they asked $25, but if someone had a major money problem. they would work with them to lower the cost or offer time payments. They don't want any animal family to have to suffer. I believe most vets are the same way.I feel so sorry for you & the family, but don't put it off.I promise Zed will show you how grateful he is that you've ended his pain.Good luck, Stay strong, & we will be praying for a good ending. Luv ya all. Momma Carol & Charley

Charley answered on 4/24/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

Al aka Alamo Schmo forever lov

If its only going to be $25 to ease this poor cats misery surely its worth you and your family going without treats this month? Animals are lucky they have the option to be put down, people go on suffering for years. Mums dog Pip had to be put down after he couldn't feed himself. Better that than have all organs fail through lack of nutrition, which will be very distressing to watch, dont you think?

Al aka Alamo Schmo forever lov answered on 4/26/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer