My cat is deliberately trying to annoy me, how do i make him stop?

I give my kitty tons of love and attention and he likes it. His problem is often times after a solid petting session he decides we aren't done and will start meowing and meowing endlessly. He doesn't even space his meows, just "meowmeowmeowmeowmeowmeowmeow" He will also start meowing like this and sometimes tenaciously rubbing his face on me at random as well. I would understand it if I didn't give him attention, but I really do. He's fed well and has no apparent reason to be upset. I certainly have noticed a change in the sound of his meows when he does this though, its more of a cry, maybe I'm crazy but I feel he is trying to annoy me.

Asked by Member 1137579 on Oct 25th 2012 Tagged meow in Noisiness

Answers

Actually, you are attributing human characteristics to your cat that he just doesn't have. In the animal world, there is a reason for everything they do. It's possible he's upset about something that isn't apparent to you, but is to him. Other Catsters have advised that when a cat continuously meows and tries to get our attention, they are trying to tell us something. If he hasn't been to the vet recently, you may want to at least phone them if this is a recent change in his behavior. And, some Catsters write to us and complain that their cats don't meow or purr or headbonk AT ALL and they wonder why their cats don't like them. By rubbing his head on you or "headbonking", he is claiming you as his own. Delilah climbs up on me when I try to work on the computer and that's annoying, too, but I know she just wants attention. Try combining some playtimes with a wand toy or something with your cuddle sessions. He obviously adores you and doesn't want to not be the center of your attention!

He may want more cat play,like chasing something,or you could chase him.I know that sounds strange,but my Showshoe Tuna loves a good game of chase,I make a noise he cares about and I run after him.He waits at the next rest spot and we do it again til I'm tired.