My cat is completely destroying my carpet. I don't want to get her declawed but I am desperate.

I am in a rental house and my cat is completely destroying the carpet by ripping it. I do not believe in declawing so I don't want to do that. I have also heard and read that the nail caps are uncomfortable and sometimes painful because they don't allow cats to retract their claws and some cats won't even walk with them on. I am listing below everything I have tried that has not worked. I can't even stand to be around her right now but I do love her. As you can see by number 11 I have exhausted all possibilities. :-( HELP!

1. Repellent sprays
2. Tape and double sided tape--a lot of it--she tears right through it
3. Squirt gun
4. Feliway
5. Yelling and loud noises
6. Playing with her more often
7. 3 Vertical and 2 horizontal scratching posts
8. Sprinkling the carpet with pepper, hot pepper, orange peels, etc.
9. Keeping her nails short-trimming every 2 weeks
10. Carpet remnants for her to scratch
11. Animal psychic

Asked by Member 1104920 on Apr 9th 2012 in Scratching

Answers

Odin

Try a pheromone spray to calm her down -they're a little bit expensive, but the wall plug-in diffusers work wonders. To me it sounds like she's just a ball of energy and since you've tried offering her great alternatives, this would be my next best bet. Also, if there's a specific spot she's targeting, try cleaning the living cr*p out of it - maybe a previous renters cat left behind a funky smell? Hopefully this helps! You're an awesome cat mom for everything you've done, so please don't declaw! >^..^<
-Odin & his mom, Mau

Odin answered on 4/9/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Joey

Wow! Okay first question - is she only scratching in one place? I ask because when they scratch they deposit their scent in that place - there may be something there that she keeps coming back to - try cleaning the area with something like Nature's Miracle. Phoebe, my little one, will scratch in one spot where Joey, my beast, likes to throw up his hairballs - yes he has one spot - and she will scratch there trying to cover it if I don't clean it up well enough. Does she use her scratching posts at all? I would drown them in cat nip and keep training her to use them instead with treats as rewards. Aversion therapy does not work on either of my cats - you can spray them all day long they just dig in. I am sorry I can't offer more advice other than thinking there is a scent that you can't appreciate that she is picking up on. Good luck.

Joey answered on 4/9/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Tenchi

There are little claw covers that you can put on your cats nails, they come in different colors and are made of pet safe vinyl. The name is escaping me, but look on google for cat claw covers and you should probably find those. She won't be able to damage the carpet with those on. I have these on and they are comfortable and they make my moeowmy happy as I am not damaging her leather sofa anymore.

Tenchi answered on 4/9/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer