My cat is breathing heavy in a very strange way and every now and then has his mouth open. What's wrong?

He also coughs sometimes.Sometimes between coughs he seems to swollow something. I've only had him for 5 months. I thought this might be asthma...but I'm not sure. He's been doing this for a while. Please help!!!

Asked by Member 899571 on Oct 10th 2009 Tagged heavy, breathing, open, mouth, cough, pant, swollowing in Health & Wellness

Answers

Bugsy

Your cat needs to go to the vet. He is sick. I don't know what he has, but it is important to go to the vet. It sounds like he is having a hard time breathing. I had a time when I was coughing bad, especially when I was playing. My mommy took me to the vet and I got medication. It took two weeks of medicaiton and I got better.It was a viral infection. Your kitty could have something like that or worse.

Bugsy answered on 10/10/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Mr. Fez (Angel Dreamboat #25)

Your cat needs to go to a vet - NOW! Is there a 24 hour emergency clinic you can take him too? Otherwise call your regular vet's number and their message should have directions for after hours emergencies - and this is an emergency. Hope he will be okay!

Mr. Fez (Angel Dreamboat #25) answered on 10/10/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Gracie

Let's assume for a second that this is asthma. It would mean that he goes into respiratory distress here and there, i.e., he can't breathe and he panics about it. It's probably a horrible experience every time.

Now, I don't want to take you to task, but I kinda have to. If this were a human child displaying the same symptoms, wouldn't you want to take him to a doctor as soon as you can to see if he could be helped to manage this condition?

Think of your cat's problem the same way: if it's chronic and causes distress, your cat needs veterinary help. If you love him, you should get him checked out as soon as possible.

Asthma or not, this sounds like something that will not go away on its own, so you have a duty to take this kitty to the vet so that he can be helped regain his health.

Gracie answered on 10/11/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

It could be an underlying heart condition. Some heart problems can cause fluid in the lungs and occasional trouble breathing. Either way, You will want to get him to the vet right away so they can diagnose him and give him appropriate medication to treat his condition.

More Questions in This Category