Ka - zar 1.6.1998 to 25.2.2014

My cat is an older guy and he get mats on his back. Can anyone suggest a natural remedy to help with getting rid of them

Asked by Ka - zar 1.6.1998 to 25.2.2014 on Sep 13th 2013 in Grooming

Answers

Izzie is a Maine Coon "moggie" with a silky, black stripe of long, fairly heavy fur down his back. Every so often, this fur will matt. When it stands out, I call it his "Shark Fin" b/c that's what it looks like. I don't know why, but I've heard that males get this much more than females. To be honest, there's nothing you can feed or dose him with that will prevent this. Even though he doesn't appreciate it, I brush at least this part of Izzie as often as I can. If the mat gets too bad, I cut it out. I'm not aware of any food or supplement that will prevent matting. I do know, however, that if you don't keep up with the mats, they just get worse and worse and multiply. And, unfortunately, even when he grooms himself, he can't really reach his back. This is the only place Izzie mats.

Hi Izzie and down under Meowster, it's Bezal, Orion's sister, and I'm a Maine Coon mix. I get mats all the time and mom cuts them out in big silver holes. Occasionally I get them on my hindquarters too. Even though I am brushed regularly (as often as I will allow), the only brush I will tolerate is a porcupine bristle brush, and that works pretty well. Whenever I see the rake or Furminator I run away... ^_^

Baltster 1990 ~ 2011

They (the humans) would have me shaved down the back every 6 months by the vets. Since I was very old and arthritic they couldn't brush me there. It was too painful. I would get a pain relief injection prior to them shaving me. MOL I called it the reverse Mohawk.

Baltster 1990 ~ 2011 answered on 9/24/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer