My cat is an american shorthair. He is a year and a half. He has a severe stage 6 cardiac heart deffect. I'm planning on

My cat is an american shorthair. He is a year and a half. He has a severe stage 6 cardiac heart deffect. I'm planning on on getting an echo done to determine how bad, but does anyone know the cost for this type of surgery?

Asked by Member 995419 on Dec 30th 2013 Tagged heart, murmur, cardiac, surgery in Health & Wellness

Answers

Unless you are a millionaire you will not be able to afford it unless you have an extra 15 grand lying around, with pet insurance. I am an emergency heart surgery survivor (one 1/4 year ago at a young age) and I will tell you right now, this is the most painful, horrible experience and I WOULD NOT put an animal through it. PERIOD, and I rescue strays. No vet with a conscience would allow you to do this either, regardless of how much you love your pet. CIGNA paid out one million to the hospital for my surgery alone, and without the insurance I would have been a million in debt. Do you and your cat a favor and do not even contemplate surgery; animals do not understand. You can write to me personally for details and specifics, but doing this to an animal without round the clock medical care for at least three months is CRUEL. I felt like I had a root canal in my chest for months after, so just make the end of his life as comfortable as possible, for as long as you 2 have together.

I agree 100% with former poster. I am a cat rescuer and lost a cat over the weekend from a sudden heart attack. I lost another feral cat two years ago from a blocked aorta. Granted your cat is young, but it sounds like he has a genetic defect which will never get better and surgery isn't guaranteed. Enjoy your furry friend while you have him. No one knows how long he has. Best of luck to you and kitty.

I am totally with Bizalel. It is a genetic issue and very tough for vet to do surgery for this type of problem. Hope your cat will be better.