Buddy

My cat is about to be 11 years old. I was told about 3 years ago he had diabetes but after giving him insulin he was dyi

My cat drinks atleast 3 bowls of water in a 24 hour period. His urine takes up the majority of his litter box and you have to change it more than once a week. It doesn't clump it goes straight to the bottom. What else can I do besides giving him insulin which if given to him makes him lifeless.

Asked by Buddy on Feb 2nd 2010 in Diabetes

Best Answer

Gumpy Sweet Boy

Hi,
If he's drinking that much and has huge urine clumps, his diabetes is not regulated. Insulin is likely the only thing that can help him. His body is not able to produce it's own insulin right now and he needs it. Also high carb dry food can increase blood glucose, consider feeding a low carb wet food if you're not already.
If insulin is making him lifeless, he may need another type of insulin, some cats don't respond well to certain kinds. There are different insulins available. Talk to your vet about whats going on, and you also can also get great information and guidance Feline Diabetes.com and the FD Message board, felinediabetes.com .
Gump has also been diabetic for a while, it can be managed. Good luck!

Gumpy Sweet Boy answered on Feb 2nd.

Answers

I would get a second opinion from another vet if yours can not advise you on caring for your diabetic cat. It sounds like the insulin dose must not be right for him if it makes him so lethargic and sick. There are vets that specialize in endocrinology. I would ask for a referral to see one or else just look for a vet who's practice is limited to cats that might be able to work with you for a better treatment plan for Buddy.