Yogi

MY cat is 18 lbs now, need some help with feeding.

OK, my cat Yogi who we have assumed is part Maine Coon has just hit the 18 lb mark. Our vet says he needs a diet. We used to feed him 1/4 cup dry food (EVO) and 1 8oz can of Weruva Paw Lickin Chicken. We cut the wet food to half a can, but now it seems like hes starving. Are we feeding him enough? Should we feed him even less as he has gotten pretty big. Thank you.

Asked by Yogi on Jun 8th 2009 in Pet Food

Answers

First of all, any weight loss should be done slowly or they can get damage to their organs. I am surprised that the vet did not suggest a healthy weight loss plan for him. What you were already feeding was good quality grain free food in both the wet and the dry and it doesn't seem like he was being overfed. I would call the vet and discuss what Yogi's ideal weight goal is and then ask him how much to feed. You should not have to figure this out on your own and we are just fellow pet owners so any advice we could offer might be dangerous to Yogi's health.

I wonder if your vet has done a blood chemisty panel on Yogi, including a T4 test for hypothyroidism. Although it's rare in cats, it can occur. This could account for his weight gain and super-hunger.

♥ Tasha ♥

First off, Allie is right, you have to be careful about helping Yogi lose weight, it has to be done slowly. I would ask your vet how many calories he should be getting per day in order to safely lose weight. Weruva Paw Lickin Chicken comes in 5.5 oz cans & 14 oz cans. The 5.5 oz can is only 83.91 calories according to their website. The dry EVO is 612 calories per cup, so if you feed 1/4 then that is 153 calories. Just for comparison I have two nine pound cats. They should have 200 calories per day. I feed them canned only because the dry seemed to pack on the pounds. I give them 4 small meals per day, so it seems like they are always eating which makes them happy, but they are getting the right amount of calories. Your vet really needs to help you get started though. Good luck!

♥ Tasha ♥ answered on 6/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Gogo

You don't seem to be giving him too much food but I do know that Evo is a very high calorie food.

Gogo was very active as a kitten but at about 9 months old she became a couch potato and gradually got fat and weighed over 15 pounds at 2 years old. My vet told me I needed to do something about her weight or she'd get health problems. The vet recommended me to try to get her to exercise more and after a couple of unsuccessful trials with other foods I found Innova Low Fat adult dry food. All my cats like it and its a good high protein food with quality ingredients that has a lot less fat than regular food (9% fat vs 18-20% fat).

Gogo lost 9oz in 6 weeks between weight checks at the vets and seems to feel good. Its difficult to get her to exercise much as she has a way of expending minimum energy with a fishing pole toy etc compared to my other cats. She does seem to be playing more with her sisters so maybe the food/weight loss is helping that too.

Good luck with Yogi

Gogo answered on 6/8/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Shadow

Assuming your cat is a Maine Coon, or part shows that these breeds are normally larger than other breeds. Though if your vet says that you need to watch your weight, a good article to read is this.
www.catinfo.org

Shadow answered on 6/15/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Sprinkles

Sprinkles weighs a healthy 10 pounds eating one 3oz can of wet food a day. Ignore her crying. don't give in.

Sprinkles answered on 7/19/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

♥SMOKEY♥

HI! I HAVE NINE CATS AND SOME OF THEM HAVE SOME MAIN COON IN THEM. MY BIGGEST ONE GOT UP TO ABOUT 24 LBS. SEVERAL OF MY CATS ARE BIG 18LB OR OVER. THE VET WANTED ME TO PUT THEM ON A DIET, BUT THEY DIDNT LIKE THE FOOD. I STARTED READING UP ON DIFFERENT FOODS AFTER ONE HAD A UTI. I NOW FEED THEM ONLY WELLNESS CANNED CAT FOOD. NO MORE DRY FOOD BECAUSE I HAVE READ THAT IT IS FULL OF CARBS AND CALORIES THEY DONT NEED. ALTHOUGH THE WELLNESS IS MORE EXPENSIVE, THEY EAT LESS OF IT BECAUSE IT IS ALL NATURAL. BELIEVE IT OR NOT, THEY ARE SLIMMING DOWN. I HAVE NOT SEEN ANY CHANGE IN THEIR HEALTH. I FEEL THEM IN THE MORNING AND LATE AFTERNOONB. THEY EAT A FEW SNACKS AT NIGHT AND THIS IS THE ONLY DRY FOOD THEY EAT---AND NOT MUCH OF IT. I RECOMMEND WELLNESS CANNED CAT FOOD TO MY FRIENDS. UNTIL PROVEN WRONG, I BELIEVE 100% IN ITS QUALITY. THEY EVEN TELL YOU THAT YOUR CAT WILL EAT LESS, BECAUSE THEY ARE NOT EATING A LOT OF BYPRODUCTS,WHEAT AND OTHER JUNK. HOPE THIS IS HELPFUL.

♥SMOKEY♥ answered on 5/27/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Heavnzsent Sir Friar Tuck

I am a Siberian (related to Maine Coons and Norwegian Forest Cats)and I weigh 20 lbs. I have been told I'm a bit pudgy. If you can feel your cats ribs but not see them,he is the right weight. If you cannot feel ribs, he is fat. Definitely find out from a Maine Coone breeder what they suggest. Maine Coons can get to be as much as 22-25 lbs. and still not be fat. If Yogi is less than 4 years old he is not fully mature and may still be developing. If he is an adult,continue to feed the 1/2 can of Weruva and the 1/4 cup of EVO. Do some active play with your cat every day. Weigh him at the end of a couple of weeks. If he is not losing weight and you still cannot feel ribs, cut the dry food out completely. Feed him the canned food twice a day and keep him active. Cats really don't need dry food left out constantly. Don't let Yogi convince you he is starving. He ISN'T! Good luck! I eat 1/2 a can of food twice a day. I'm lazy but I'm losing weight slowly. It will take time.

Heavnzsent Sir Friar Tuck answered on 11/16/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Jazzmine

From MY vet: cats NEED very high MEAT based protien food!! Dry DIET food WILL make them GAIN weight EVEN eating HALF what the bag suggests!! DRY FOOD also is very BAD for cats, because it is PLANT based protein, CATS NEED MEAT they are obligate carnivores!! Jazzmine is on Hills DM, ONE 5.5 oz can a day until she gets to about 12/13 pounds. She is under 18 pounds now, she started out about 21 pounds a year ago. YES be VERY careful, GO SLOWLY!! IF the can is OLD be even MORE careful!! Elderly pets WILL DIE if they are put on a strict weight loss diet all of a sudden. They go into renal failure & DIE!! Basically from starvation!! BE CAREFUL!! To get Jazzmine OFF the dry food, (addiction) I had to (at first) give her the dry AND canned to wean her OFF the dry & convince her to EAT the canned!! WORKING GOOD NOW!! Is IMPORTANT to get weight down OVERWEIGHT causes heart diease, thyroid probs, and diabetes!! BEST of luck, loves Delecia & Jazzmine (nawth sew phatz gurl kittah naow!!)

Jazzmine answered on 11/29/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer