My cat is 12 years old and suddenly he is leaving a orange dusty substance everywhere he lays. It comes of the furnitur

My cat is 12 years old and suddenly he is leaving a orange dusty substance everywhere he lays. It comes of the furniture easily when dusted, but I'm concerned if there is something wrong with him. I just noticed it again today under our christmas tree. It almost looks like sand but it is orange. I checked his body out and didn't see any of it directly on him. Please help.

Asked by Member 1074524 on Dec 1st 2011 in Skin Problems

Answers

This is really strange! Did you check his bottom? If he is a long-haired cat, he may have what we call "Kling-ons" back there. Or, he may have very dry skin. Without seeing him, it's almost impossible to even guess what it might be. Is he scratching himself a lot? Over-grooming? Is he an outdoor cat or does he stay in your garage where he might be picking up this stuff? Do you brush him and then find that this comes back? Could it be vomit? Just in case, I think I'd call the vet who can do a hands-on exam.