My Cat is 11 mths old. Around 3 mths ago after he was desexed he started pooing outside his litterbox (he had never done

My cat Rutus is 11 mths old. around 3 mths ago, around 3 weeks after he was desexed he started pooing outside his litterbox. He had never done this before. it was only sometimes to begin with but progressed to all the time, although he would always urinate in the litterbox. Last week he pooped on the kitchen floor.(something he's never done) I showed him the poop and smacked him and put him in his litterbox, but he did the same thing again today. I don't understand why he is doing this, for the first 8 mths of his life he always used his litterbox. Does anyone have any answers pleeeease

Asked by Member 1126086 on Aug 17th 2012 Tagged catpooping, outsidelitterbox in Methods of Training

Answers

I doubt if the neutering had anything to do with his not using the box. Cats stop using the box for 2 main reasons, one is stress and the other is health issues. Your first course of action is to tak him back to the vet and determine whether he may have a bowel or digestive problem that could interfer with his ability to control his poop. Secondly, make sure his box is big enough for him and kept very clean. You might even want to set another box out for him as some cats like 1 for pee and another for poo. Under no circumstances should you EVER "smack" or yell at him. This makes the problem worse. If you smacked him and then put him in the box, he is associating the box with unpleasantness and WON'T use it no matter what. Rufus is still a kitten, an "animal child" if you will. Like a human child, he needs to be trained with love, patience and kindness, and with the advice and help of his vet.