bous-bous

my cat hunting and eating flies????

im really worried that she mite get sick from hunting and eating flies she sees indoors sometimes....and just now she found a lizard, hunted and ate it!!!!! im rally worried that she mite get sick because of that?...is it o.k?

Asked by bous-bous on Aug 7th 2008 in Health & Wellness

Answers

the kaya skye & shyloh paige

i know it seems icky and gross, but unless the insect or animal your cat eats has been poisoned, it should be perfectly safe. cats are predators, it is instinctive for them to hunt and kill prey. not all cats eat what they kill...or even kill what they hunt,our kittens fill us with delight with their "maim and release" program for mousies...but when it comes to this, your kitty's instincts are on target. plus, it's great fun and great exercise for her. i love watching the kittens hunt flies, actually...their flight is so unpredictable, the girls get really into it and get a better workout than i could ever give them with a wand toy.

the kaya skye & shyloh paige answered on 8/7/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Minx

dear worried mom,your kitten can not get sick from eating flies.its just a habit and it will grow out of it soon.

-minx

Minx answered on 8/7/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Philbert

Don't worry! Unless the prey is something natually poisonous your kitty is fine and is just doing what comes natually and is fun! I don't think this is a problem everywhere, but in by sometimes flies can carry giardiajust because there so much more waste around fort them to get into. Its probably not much of a problem other places.

Even if that does happen, its easy for your vet to treat, and you'll tell if he's gotten it after eating a fly if he gets diarrea. But I'm sure he'll be fine and he having a great time.

Philbert answered on 8/7/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Howie

I love to hunt and eat all bugs (moths are my favorite), and have never gotten sick. It keeps me exercised, and makes momma laugh. Cats are hunters, so you're just doing what comes naturally. I have a furry friend that ate a baby squirrel not to long ago, and not only did it not make her sick, it seemed to invigorate the old girl (her vet said it was just fine to hunt on an occasion, as long as she's vaccinated and healthy). People from all over the world eat bugs, and lizards too, with no issues.

Happy Hunting!

Howie answered on 8/8/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 2 Report this answer

Rose Marie

No, there is no problem at all unless of course what she has eaten is poisoned or something. I have two Turkish Angoras and they absolutely LOVE catching flies and eating them. The male ate a spider (I think) a few days ago and he's fine.

Cats are predators and its in them to 'hunt'. Besides, it's really amusing to watch them at it. The girl gets all worked up trying to get at it, she even sometimes braves jumping at the curtains!

Rose Marie answered on 8/10/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Midnight

my cat does the same thing and my dog to it doesnt seem to hurt them

Midnight answered on 8/13/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

My cat used to eat flies, crickets, frozen vegetables and the occasional fuzz ball ans he was completely fine.