Kara

My cat hates wet food, but I heard that cats NEED it. Is this true? If so, what can I do to get it into her diet?

My 2 year old Kara hates wet food of any kind that I have tried. But she will eat almost any dry food I put in front of her. I try to read labels and buy good, nutritious brands. But I have been told by other cat people that cats NEED wet food in their diet as well. My previous cats have all LOVED wet food, so this was no issue, they ate some of both wet and dry food every day. But Kara refuses, eating only dry food. Is this ok for her? I've heard cats don't drink enough water and they get lots of moisture from wet food into their diets, so it could hurt their kidneys if they eat only dry? Does anyone know about any of this? I just want to make sure I don't need to find some way to supplement her diet with more than just dry food and occasional treats. Thanks!

Asked by Kara on May 9th 2013 Tagged food, wet, dry, diet, health in Pet Food

Answers

There has been a wet vs dry food debate for a while. It seems that there's alot of different opinions & no clear answer. There is more moisture in wet food which makes urine more dilute. You make want to check out this article. It lists different of dry food & tells which ones are the best. Maybe you could get some wet food from one of the best brands listed. There's lots of good info here: www.examiner.com

Also as for wet food, do you think she'd like pate or chunky? Try different textures. Me personally, my favorite wet foods are Best Feline Friend, Earthborn & Mio9. Mommy has only been able to find Mio9 at Big Lots. Give them a try if you haven't already if you can't find anything else she likes.

I hope I was able to help. Good luck!

Twinkle is right on all counts. What to feed is a hotly contested topic here. There are many forums here about just that. My cats eat a mostly dry diet as well. They get about 2/3 of a can of wet each day. If it's not up to their high standards, they'll leave it in the bowl. For an occasional treat, I'll give them a little canned tuna. The primary purpose of feeding wet food seems to be, as Twinkle said, hydration. It's a well-known fact that cats don't drink enough water. To remedy that, I have a Drinkwell cat fountain next to their food. While Delilah likes standing water in a bowl, both Izzie and Lizzie love moving water as it comes out of the fountain. They both also drink out of the dogs larger fountain on the floor. I don't worry that they get enough water because the boxes are full of clumps of urine, enough for 3 healthy cats. So I guess what I'm trying to say is that you don't have to make wet food a staple of her diet. For mine, it's mostly a treat.

I have been where you are, it can be done! I must have tried 10 times and gave up before resorting to this method, and it worked. I gave my cat about 1/4 cup of dry in the morning, which she promptly gobbled up and stared for more. Nope. Canned only baby was all she got in her bowl, all day long. I just started with small amounts of canned, so as not to waste, and I started with fancy feast (classics) at first, since it's cheap, and it is very well liked (once they start eating it). Then at dinner time, 1/4 c of dry again, no more. Same thing, more canned food. She IGNORED the canned for DAYS before she reluctantly took a few licks of the food..not bites, just licked it at first. After a few days, she got hungry and took a few bites. (I wanted to run around the block screaming!) From then on, I KNEW she would eat the canned eventually. Once they are eating more canned regularly, slowly cut back on the dry. NO KIBBLE except am and pm meal! That is the key!!!

Have you tried mixing the wet and dry together? Sometimes this works. I have heard that cats need wet as well but males more than females. If your cat drinks plenty of water, she should be fine. I had 2 females for 17 and 18 yrs that only ate dry food and never had an illness until old age. I think you will continually hear conflicting opinions...your cat will know what to do. And if she doesn't drink alot of water, try the fountain method or adding an ice cube. Cats like movement in their water.
Good Luck!

Bing

The best diet for a cat is raw. The worst thing you can feed your cat is dry food. Dry food is high carb, addictive and requires a cat to get its water from a separate source. Cats are obligate carnivores and should get their water from their food not a bowl. Lack of hydration leads to bowel and kidney problems. Feline Diabetics are known to go off insulin with a change from dry to wet diets. They may never have become diabetic in the first place if we had fed them properly. Please, please, please, I urge you to research catinfo.org and catnutrition.org.

Bing answered on 6/25/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Let's get back to the subject of WHY there is a debate in the first place that no one can deny- cats need WATER. Plenty of it!! If you only have one water bowl, add another. If two aren't seeming to do the trick, buy a low-noise water fountain. I have the K&H clean flow and I am honestly amazed that they all like and use it regularly. I got one (without a reservoir) on amazon for $35- and it has been the best investment for them all. They are all drinking more since I added it, and all but the kitten prefer it to their long-standing kitchen bowl. ^_^