My cat has URI but is allergic to meds. Vet says to wait it out. Should I get another vet?

I adopted a Siamese mix (chocolate point) from the SPCA on Friday. She came home with a upper respiratory infection (my previous kitties have had them from the SPCA, no biggie usually) and some antibiotic. I noticed right off the bat that she had diarrhea, but I figured it could be from the change in food (they didn't give me the food she was on, they were out). The vets at the clinic told me to start her antibiotics on Sat. I did, and she immediately threw it up and had a spell of diarrhea. I called the clinic, they told me to lay off the meds for the weekend, and if her stool solidified, to call them back. Come Monday morning, it had. But her nose started dripping and she's sneezing every few seconds. I took her to the SPCA vet and they said she'd "grow out of it" and it might take up to a month.

She's gotten worse (barely opens her eyes, and she's weaving back and forth, and her nose seems to be running nonstop, with snot as well). Should I get a second opinion?

Asked by Member 1143557 on Dec 4th 2012 Tagged upperrespiratoryinfection, kittens, siamese, cold, flu, allergy, antibiotic in Health & Wellness
Report this question Get this question's RSS feed Send this question to a friend


  • Cast your vote for which answer you think is best!


Izadore (Izzie)

Yes, you need to get her to a vet, if not an Animal Emergency Clinic, as soon as possible. Document what the new vets tell you. If the shelter you adopted from is a reputable one, they should compensate at least part of your expenses with the new vet since the cat was sick when you adopted her. But take her now, not just because she needs treatment, but because some shelters put a time limit on when they'll reimburse vet care. Repiratory infections are "kitty colds", but they can quickly rage out of control and prove fatal. Since she's getting worse, she needs medical attention asap. I'm not a vet, but I'd venture to say that there must be other medications for her beside the antibiotic she's allergic to, and be sure to mention her reaction. She needs a complete, competent exam and treatment right away. Please let us know what happens. We're sending purrs for her fast recovery!

Izadore (Izzie) answered on 12/4/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer