Kai

My cat has two puncture wounds on her side, one about 1/8 inch and circular, and the other 1/2 inch long cut. What should I look for in the way of infection, and when should I take her in?

They don't appear to be from a cat fight, and are clean, no pus, and she's wearing an e-collar to prevent irritation (I've been using the flush the vet gave us from an abcess she had a couple months ago). So far the long cut is healing nicely and has mostly closed, the other we just found yesterday (the other was found Sunday -- sneaky kitty)

Asked by Kai on May 14th 2008 Tagged injury, vets, infection in Health & Wellness

Best Answer

Mezzanotte

Definately keep an eye out for any sort of discharge, redness, soreness to the touch or yellowish tinge. Are the cuts deep at all or just little scratches. If they're somewhat deep I would take her to the vet. A vet would know best on whether she'd need to be on an antibiotic like Baytril or if its fine healing on its own.

Mezzanotte answered on May 14th.

Answers

Mr. Fez (Angel Dreamboat #25)

I would have her checked out by your vet. Puncture wound can get infected and abcess very quickly and easily.

Mr. Fez (Angel Dreamboat #25) answered on 5/14/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

This is what the state of Delaware told my brother:

"If your cat was injured outside and you do not know what caused the puncture wounds, you must take your cat to a vet immediately. If your cat did not receive a rabies vaccine at least 12 months prior to the puncture wounds, your cat must be checked and treated for rabies with a mandatory quarantine of 45 days or longer. If your cat did receive a rabies vaccine, the vet may quarantine your cat up to 10 days as a precaution."

Honeybunny Boo Moceri

Take to vet immediately! This will get it diagnosed and treated and ultimatley save you money and regrets, as well as make your cat comfortable. Could have beena poisionous snake or other infected creature or instrument.

Honeybunny Boo Moceri answered on 5/19/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer