My cat has these knots on her back because she's too fat to clean herself and I don't want to hurt her trying to comb th

I think she gets these knots because the really can't clean herself because she is too fat.

Asked by Member 742517 on Sep 25th 2008 in Products & Tools

Answers

Simba

YES!!! It would be very beneficial to your cat to take some weight off. Talk to your vet and see how much your kitty should be eating. And if you give her treats or people food tell the vet that too, because those are additional daily calories. A fat cat is not a healthy cat. It can cause breathing and heart problems, diabetes, and the list goes on. Those knots are exactly that--she can't reach to groom. If they are large and tight, they probably hurt too because they pull on the skin. I would recommend having them shaved off with electric clippers. You can do it yourself or take her to a groomer. The fur will grow back, but unless she looses weight, knots will reform.

Simba answered on 9/25/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Schmoo

I recently adopted an adult kitty from a shelter who was overweight and had terrible knots on his back where he couldn't reach to groom. What I did was to carefully snip the mats away with a small scissors, being careful of the skin. He had a couple of bald spots, but the hair grew back in within 2 months. In the meantime, I read the label on the cat food and I got a measuring cup and measured his food out. He is losing weight in a controlled way.

Don't give him "weight control" food. It is actually full of carbs that make him eat less and feel full, but he's not getting the protein he needs and ironically will get fatter on that kind of diet! Feed him a high quality, low carb (no grains like corn or wheat) cat food (a mix of wet and dry) and MEASURE FOR PORTION CONTROL. Your kitty's health will improve vastly if he gets to a normal weight.

I feed my cats Wellness. It's a nice balanced food. You can ask your vet about it or get something similar.

Schmoo answered on 9/25/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Cherry

Hi,
I totally agree with Schmoo. I changed my kitty's diet to Wellness. You cannot believe that she has completely lost her huge tummy. She has the leanest muscles and she looks fit and agile. Wellness is a high quality food rich in protein. Weight loss is important but not too drastic. Drastic weight loss leads to illness. Please check with your Vet to ensure you are moving on to the right diet and regarding how many pounds your cat should lose. You need to have a good weighing scale to check her progress weekly. Also as other posters mentioned, groom her, clip out her mats, and keep grooming her on a daily basis.

Cherry answered on 9/26/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Schmoo and Cherry are right. I'd just like to add that I am owned by Ms. Delilah, the Divine Diva who is a Domestic Long-haired cat. She mats like crazy. Last year I tried to cut out a mat on her side and accidentally cut her skin. I was devastated and am still trying to make it up to her 8-( I went on the Drs. Foster & Smith website and got a comb called a "mat breaker". It's the only thing that works, and while I found out the hard way that it's razor sharp, it won't cut her like the scissors did. Also, in addition to gradually changing her diet, have you tried playing with her--starting off with some short playtimes and as she becomes more "buff", increasing her activity? You know even as humans it's difficult to lose weight by diet alone!