Pumpkin Puss

My cat has something in his eye-should I take an eye/eardropper & try to flush it, or wipe his face w/ a cloth?

Pumpkin has something in his right eye, and it's been there for the last 2 hours or so. There's clear goop coming out of the inner corner, too. Is this something to worry over? I'm not sure. He's been trying to scratch it, and there is no sign of irritation yet.

Asked by Pumpkin Puss on May 11th 2009 Tagged eye, debris, cat in Other Health & Wellness

Answers

I would not use a cloth to wipe it because you could scratch the surface of the eye. The best option would be to have the vet take a look at it so that you can be sure that you don't damage his eye trying to help him. But if you decide to try to flush it out yourself, just do not use any human medications like eye drops on him. Just use either plain water or else saline solution.

Hunter

You need to take him to a vet and have them look. They have numbing drops that will allow them better access to the eye, as well as the expertise to determine if the cornea has a scratch or not. The longer you wait to have the eye looked at the more potential damage, including permanent, that your cat should endure. Please get into your vet now. If they can''t see you then an ER vet is what you need to do.

Hunter answered on 5/11/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Checkers

I would use a warm washcloth to wipe it away gently but when you wipe, do not use the same piece of washcloth over again because if it's an infection or something of that sort, you will just spread it around. Using different corners of the cloth helps keep the infection out. If it persists, I would ask the vet. Your baby may just have something in his eye....fingers crossed.

Checkers answered on 5/11/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Mr. Fez (Angel Dreamboat #25)

I agree with Hunter - this kitty should be seen by a vet ASAP! The fact that he's been trying to scratch his eye tells me it is irritated and bothering him. Think of how you feel if something is in your eye! Eye problems are usually considered emergencies. Please get him in to the vet ASAP. This could get much worse very quickly and then treatment will be more expensive too. You also don't want to risk him losing his sight in that eye either. He could cause more damage by scratching his eye too.

Mr. Fez (Angel Dreamboat #25) answered on 5/11/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer