My cat has recently starting being overly affectionate with me, could it be more then her just showing affection?

She has lived with me since she was a kitten, just old enough to leave her mother. She's always been very fond of me, waiting at the door for me when she hears me coming, bringing me gifts, sleeping at my feet, and she's always on my heels, etc.
But cuddling and sleeping on me has never been a big thing with her, but recently she has been doing so for long periods of time, and being very persistent and pushy about it, waking me in my sleep even.
I know she loves me and I'm just worried it could be something else. I want to take her to the vet but money's an issue, so I just want opinions before I really start worrying, lol.

Asked by Member 1129669 on Sep 6th 2012 Tagged affection, worry, wrong, cat, kitten, want, need in Behavior & Training

Answers

If your cat is not spayed, this could be a reason for her being over-affectionate. She may be coming into heat. And, if you are financially strapped right now, you need to get her into a vet before she presents you with kittens, and have her fixed. I've also heard that when a cat suddenly wants to get in its owner's face all the time, it could be trying to tell its owner it's not feeling good. It's also possible that, if your schedule has changed recently, she's just trying to make sure she's still #1 in your life. If you suspect she isn't feeling good, call your vet and ask if you can be put on a payment plan, paying whatever you can when you can. Most vets understand that times are tough right now and they will let you pay off the bill in installments.

Panther

My answer is almost the splitting image of Izzy's answer. Wow. Talk about affection.I know money is such a big deal these days!So if you can, I suggest you use PayPal on your website or blog to advertise for money to go to the vet. Or you could go to a friend who knows A LOT about cats. But you could also make money little by little, by doing small jobs. Like selling Lemonade on hot days or washing dirty cars. I too have experienced what you are going through! My cat Panther has gone into heat for maybe the last heat in her life. (She is probably only a little over 4 years old) She has had her kittens...I think. She is a indoor/outdoor cat. She might be hiding the kittens outside.But still...

Panther answered on 9/8/12. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

If the problem is that you cannot afford to spay your cat there is a lot of options out there for people with low income to get free or really cheap spaying for their cats.
When a girl cat is in heat, they just cannot get enough of you!! Soon it will be the neightbor boy cat that has her attention.
Below are just two websites on where to start looking.
Just Google and you will find the right place.

www.aspca.org/
Find The Nearest Location To Spay/Neuter Your Pet For Free.

www.lovethatcat.com/spayneuter.html
Arguments in favor of spaying or neutering cats including a directory of low cost or free spay/neuter programs listed by state with related links.

I had suggested this to my friend and she got her cat neutered for free! Some clinics have a limited number of cats they will do per month to help out people who just cannot afford it. Good luck!