My cat has gone missing

Hello. I adopted an 11 month old female calico last week, she is very timid but warmed up to me quickly. Beside me, she has only had contact with my little brother, and had begun warming up to him.

Since I got her she has only stayed in my room, but would explore the rest of the upstairs. She would come back into my room if I called out her name. She never ventured downstairs, or to my knowledge.

She is very obedient and loving so its coming to me as a shock because I cant find her anywhere in the house.
She was also spayed and had all of her shots.

I left her food bowl on my porch in case she has ventured outside.

Is there a possibility she will find her way back to the house if she had ventured away from it?

I hoping she comes out of hiding soon, I miss her dearly.

Asked by Member 1033084 on May 7th 2011 in News & Events

Answers

Chances are, yes she will return. You can post flyers in your neighborhood with her description. If you don't have a photo, be as specific as possible. Contact your local animal control officer (through your police department), local vets, shelters and rescues. If you have the funds, you can also place an ad in your local paper. If you go out at night with a flashlight, you may be able to pick up the reflection from her eyes under a parked car, boat, woodpile, etc. Call her name. Don't give up. Best wishes at finding your kitty!

You didn't say how long she has been missing but don't give up looking in the house if you do not think that she could have gone outside. Cats go into the strangest places. I was just looking for 2 of mine and I found both of them up inside the box spring under my bed sleeping. I guess they found a hole in the fabric and found a cozy place to hide. I looked under the bed and noticed that there was a lump hanging down that looked odd and when I poked it, it turned out to be Kira. Another time I went into a full panic calling Chelsea's name up and down my street only to find her sleeping inside a kitchen cabinet where I had taken out a pan just before I "lost" her. I did not see her go in there. A friend of mine had one go up into the ceiling tiles in the basement. They tend to come out when they decide it is time to be found and not just because you are looking for them. Check for places she may have become trapped and unable to get back out of.

Yes I can attest to cats hiding in places or falling asleep in places you'd never expect. I have one that has slipped into different drawers in my house that are subsequently closed and she goes unnoticed. Some of these drawers aren't opened frequently and so many hours would pass before she actually started meowing to get out. I hope you find your kitten :)