Calvin

My cat has feline acne on his chin. What can I put on him to dry it up before it gets as bad as last time.

Last time I had to take him to the vet who prescribed antibiotics, prednisone, and alcohol rubbed on his chin. I have tried just alcohol on cotton balls a couple of times a day, but that doesn't seem to make any difference. Someone has told me to use a boric acid / distilled water solution, or OxyDex (what is that?) or peroxide. Any suggestions from cat lovers? Oh and last time I went to stainless steel bowls so it isn't that.

Asked by Calvin on Jan 12th 2010 Tagged felineacne, chin in Skin Problems

Answers

Chelsea

My vet gave me a shampoo for Chelsea's chin that has benzoil peroxide or something like human acne wash stuff in it. She just poured off some for free in a pill bottle for me so I don't know what the label said. But a good antibacterial soap and frequent chin scrubbings seem to help her. She has never gotten bad enough to need all that medication poor Calvin has though. She mostly just gets blackheads. But she HATES it when I try to clean her chin. I also use a flea comb to try to clean the black bits out of her chin fur. You just have to stay with it. And wash his bowls frequently to keep the bacteria under control. We thought Chelsea would outgrow it but so far, no luck.

Chelsea answered on 1/12/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

When I fostered a cat who had it, I used a small, soft brush like a baby hairbrush to scrub her chin. I did it often during the day and especially after she ate. I used "Hibiclens" which I got at CVS and also wiped her chin frequently with hydrogen peroxide towelettes (also at CVS). You have to be careful what you use because if they lick it off and ingest it, it could make them sick, so I always checked with the vet first.

Sussie Q (pronounced Suzzie Q)

Ok first let me say I have so been here with 3 cats. Yes I know how to pick em. Sussie Q was the worst as she needed medication a few times.

This is what helped me, cleaning often and bathing often as she allowed. I also used water with peroxide on her chin with q-tips daily and she was great about it all. I also did not give her wet food often so it helped to keep her chin clean. I also used certain food science diet was best. You want as little crumbs in the food as possible. :)

This is great, cats.about.com

Good luck I hope he gets well soon. I also noticed Siamese or mixed ones have this more. All 3 were mixed with Siamese.

Sussie Q (pronounced Suzzie Q) answered on 1/12/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Strangelove (1988-2006)

Try changing to glass bowls. Strangelove still used to get acne with stainless steel but it went away completely when we switched to glass bowls. You can get cheap glass bowls/plates at Dollar Tree or Walmart.

My vet also gave me an antibiotic ointment called Mupirocin when she was still getting acne. As soon as I saw a zit/bump forming I applied the ointment and it always cleared them up before they'd get bad.

Strangelove (1988-2006) answered on 1/12/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer