Nala

My cat has been sneezing a lot lately yet she seems fine. She is still eating and drinking etc. What could this be? Ta.

Asked by Nala on Mar 24th 2009 in Illness & Disease

Best Answer

Go to the vet to rule out a cold. If it's not a cold, keep her inside for a while to rule out outdoor allergies (if she goes outside). If that doesn't work, stop using heavy perfumes and aerosol sprays when she's in the same room and switch to a low dust litter. Also, vacuuming every other day and washing bedding once a week can help out.

Hermes had a similar problem when I first brought him home and while these steps helped him out... The thing that really made the difference was switching him to a raw diet. It's not for everyone but it's (IMO) worth looking into.

I hope you figure out what's going on with Nala soon so she can be more comfortable.

answered on Mar 25th.

Answers

Blaze

It could be allergies. Blaze was sneezing a lot so I took her to the vet thinking it might be a URI but it wasn't. And on the flip side, Chelsea had red rimmed eyes that seemed a bit more leaky than normal (Persians eyes are leaky anyway) and I assumed hers was allergies but the vet prescribed antiobiotic eye ointment and it cleared up. So basically what I am saying is that even though I think I know what I am doing and I have experience with my girls, only the vet can tell you for sure. If it persists or other symptoms start up, I would call the vet.

Blaze answered on 3/25/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Does Nala go outside? It could be an allergy to something that's blooming now. Keep an eye on her. If it gets worse, take her to the vet. Remember, you know her best, and you know when something's just not right. Don't be afraid to call the vet if you have questions.

Ruckus

It sounds like a cold, likely from herpes virus, which approximately 90% (estimates vary) of we cats have been exposed to. It seems to flare up during spring and fall.

The "R" part of the FCVRP vaccination may help mitigate symptoms, so make sure she is current on that. My vet just puts drops in my nose and eyes, I don't even have to have a shot!

It will probably go away on its own in a week or so. If it gets worse (her eyes get pink, or she gets snuffly - then she won't eat!), call your vet.

If it doesn't doesn't get worse but it doesn't go away either, try mixing 500 mg of L-Lysine (WITHOUT the preservative “propylene glycol”, which can hurt us) into her food twice a day for about a month. Mine comes in a capsule from the health food store, and I can't even taste it.

www.woodcox.net
www.ehow.com

Ruckus answered on 3/25/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Her teeth... ? :-)