my cat has been drooling for about 3 days, its alot. and now its foaming of the mouth almost and her lip seems swollen.

my cat has been drooling for about 3 days, its alot. and now its foaming of the mouth almost and her lip seems swollen. she has been acting funny shes usually very friendly now she seems more aggressive. she lays around a lot. Before she started drooling her right eye was looking funny and watered a lot now they look like they've changed color, both of them. you think she has rabies? She does go outside I can't stop her she just finds a way to sneak out. I have another cat that stays indoors and a dog and I'm scared of her attacking them or even my family.

Asked by Member 970201 on Mar 3rd 2010 Tagged rabiessick in Behavior & Training

Answers

I'm sorry, but we are not vets here. As much as we'd like to give out free medical advice and tell you what's wrong with your kitty, we just can't. It's possible that if she's never been to a vet and hasn't had a rabies shot, she may have rabies although that's more rare than people think. She could also have been poisoned. The only way you can tell for sure what is wrong with her is to take her to a vet. if she's never been, now is a good time to find one, even at a local shelter. A professional exam is the only way to tell what's wrong with her. Please do the right thing and take her to a vet. Don't let her suffer. That's cruel. Thanks.

As Izzie says--we're not vets. But we have a lot of miscellaneous knowlege. Kitty needs to go the vet. More than that, though, she needs to caged before she goes--just in case it IS rabies. Your question makes it sound like she hasn't been vaccinated for rabies--correct me if I'm wrong. IF it's rabies, and IF she bites you, and IF you don't get rabies shots before symptoms appear (which can take as long as a year), you will die. Now, did that scare you? It scares me, too. See www.peteducation.com
for more information. And see your vet. Purrs and prayers.

Chibi answered on 3/3/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

You need to get your cat to a vet IMMEDIATELY! I am a feral cat rescuer and have had experience with rabid animals. Since your cat goes outdoors there is a possibility that she has been exposed to a rabid animal, distemper, poison, etc. The behaviors you describe are not normal. Rabies symptoms will appear within 3 to 10 days of being exposed (in most cases). It is an agonizing death due to respiratory distress, etc. Please, cage your cat and keep it away from your other animals. Get the cat to the vet NOW! After you have dealt with the sick cat, get the rest of your animals checked out and vaccinated! Protect your hands with gloves when you handle your cat. Even if you receive a scratch from your cat, you will need rabies vaccines. DON'T waste any more time. Best of luck to you.