Ash

My cat has a walking disability and won't use the litter box. Any suggestions?

My cat is having issues learning to use the litter box. This is a result of having some brain damage from being trapped in a porch as a kitten, where it would reach 130 degrees, he now has trouble walking. But he is a very smart cat, he has learned how get around with his disability. I assume that he just doesn't want to climb into the box, so I now have a very low rimmed litter box, but he still will not go into it. I would really appreciate any ideas or suggestions on getting him to use the litter box.

Asked by Ash on Apr 23rd 2013 in Methods of Training

Answers

Lucy Liu

Not only do I use a low rimmed box, I also use a larger width & length box than most commercially sold litter pans so there's plenty of room for the cat to maneuver around in it. A disabled cat needs more space to maneuver himself around in a litter box than a cat without physical problems needs. A large storage box with an appropriate entrance in the front (or even multiple entrances cut into it if necessary) can be used to create a relatively inexpensive pan that gives the cat more maneuvering space than a normal litter pan does. I find that most cats prefer a pan thats larger than most of what's marketed specifically as litter pans & my cats really like the homemade pans. Put a bit of your kitty's poo into the new box so his own scent is there to help him know what you want him to do in it.

I also use wood pellets (sold at hardware stores as stove pellets) in my litter pans. These don't get stuck in the cat's fur or between paw pads as regular litter does.

Lucy Liu answered on 5/13/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer