Jack

My cat has a swollen ear and it isn't a wound; what is it?

My cat is holding his right ear in a flat position. There are no marks on the outside of the ear. When I took a closer look, I could see that the inside of the ear was swollen. I took a Q-tip with hydrogen peroxide and carefully swabbed inside, but it came back clean. He is not scratching at the ear, but is flicking it. I'm wondering if it is an abscess? Could he have hurt the cartilage of his ear?

Asked by Jack on Sep 8th 2013 Tagged swollenear in Health & Wellness

Answers

Ghost

I don't know if this is the same, but our golden dog used to get fluids in his ear after swimming and shaking his head. They would have to be drained. Could be similar. Best bet is the vet to be sure, if it is or becomes an infection that would be very dangerous!

Ghost answered on 9/8/13. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Ghost is absolutely right. Cat (and dogs) have very different ear canals than people do. They're longer and shaped differently. He could have something very deep inside his ear canal that's not supposed to be there and is making him very uncomfortable. The only way to tell what's in there is to take him to his vet and have them use their special scope to look down there. They can then diagnose and treat whatever it is. An infection in his ear, no matter what the cause, can eventually spread to his brain and be fatal. Please take him in as soon as you can. We're sending purrs that he feels better soon!