My cat has a quarter sized, circular wound on the back of it's left leg next to her butt any clue on what internal cause

Was not there when I went to sleep, not sure if it was there when I woke up, noticed it and took to vet, vet didn't give a straight answer because he wanted to start his Christmas weekend.

Asked by Member 1079681 on Dec 25th 2011 Tagged wounded in Skin Problems

Answers

It's most likely from an abscess from an infected anal gland or a cat bite. The abscess forms under the skin from an infection and when it bursts you'd see a wound suddenly appear. It sounds like you need to find another vet if they couldn't be bothered to explain what was going on. If it was an abscess the vet should have cleaned the wound and given your cat antibiotics.

Yikes! I really hate to hear things like this about vets because I have always had wonderful ones, both personal and when I was volunteering at a pet welfare organization. If what you say is true about this vet, or if he even just gave you this impression along with the "bum's rush" out of his clinic, then you need to report him to a veterinary board in your area. He could very well be costing other animals not only needless suffering but possibly also their lives. You can find local veterinary boards by googling them. In the case of your cat, she does need to go back to a reliable vet. You're probably just as well off to pick one out of the phone book or online or contact a local shelter and ask who they use. Vets who give time to a rescue organization usually have more compassion. Hope your kitty is OK!