my cat has a fever. how do i bring it down?? i need ANSWERS as soon as POSSIBLE!!! my cat hasn't been eating or drinking

My cat has a fever!! I don't know how to bring it down. I need to know soon!! He is 8 months old and a Flame tipped Siamese. He hasn't been eating food or drinking water all day!! He went in the litter box once. But that's it. He has been sleeping almost all day!! PLEASE HELP!!! and i don't have money to go to the vet.

Asked by Member 1069175 on Nov 7th 2011 Tagged fever in Health & Wellness

Answers

Cali

Unfortunately if he isn't eating or drinking it's an emergency situation and seeing a vet is the only good way to help him. If he doesn't eat for more than 24 hours he's at risk for liver failure, and the longer he goes without eating the less chance he can ever recover from it. If on top of that he's not drinking he will get dehydrated making him very weak, and if he really is running a fever that means he probably has an infection which he'll then be that much less able to fight.

Many veterinarians offer payment plans or accept Care Credit, which is like a credit card but is only used for veterinary services. If you can't get any kind of credit and honestly can't afford it call up any nearby shelters or rescue groups and see if they can help you get him treated. You may have to surrender him to have a shelter pay for his care, but it's better than letting him get even more horribly ill or die slowly and painfully.

Cali answered on 11/7/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 3 Report this answer

Cali is right. In my years with animal welfare, I never heard of a vet who would refuse to treat a sick cat even if the cat wasn't a patient of their's. Vets become vets because they love animals, not because they want to get rich. If you are sincere about paying whatever you can whenever you can and go in with the attitude of saving your cat's life, which at this point, it sounds like he needs to see a vet NOW, the vet will treat him and work out a payment plan with you. The Holidays are coming up and perhaps you could ask for someone to loan you money for the vet instead of buying you a Holiday gift??