My cat had a major personality change without anything tramatic happening!!!! Can someone help out a new cat owner???

Hi everyone! I found this sweet stray cat, Nico, whining and hungry outside my apartment. My boyfriend and I adopted him. I have 2 other cats, Keiko and Micah and when I introduced them to Nico they practically ganged up on him so I separated them.,Now the issue, Nico used to be really outgoing and he allowed you to pet him and pick him up now he just does nothing. Seriously, NOTHING. He doesn't eat much or want to play. When I try to pet him he yells like he is in pain. I want my cats to all get along but I want to make sure Nico is happy again. I want to make sure I do everything I can to make his life with us happy. HELP!!! Sara

Asked by Member 640859 on Jun 4th 2008 Tagged personality, introducingnewcats, unhappycat in Behavior & Training

Answers

A sudden personality change can indicate a health problem. If you haven't already taken Nico to the vet's, you really should as soon as possible, especially since you have other cats. If Nico's health checks out OK, then I would ask your vet how he thinks you can "reintroduce" Nico to the rest of the population.

Spike

I'd go along with Izzie and recommend a vet check-up, but it sounds to me that it's most likely low self-esteem. Nico came into a household with two other cats who ganged up on him--of course he feels unhappy and unsure of himself! This can happen to the newbie in the family or the pet who must now cope with an interloper. My Spot was the sweetest, most affectionate boy ever (BIG purrer), but when I adopted three Maine Coons, his feelings were hurt, he didn't know where he was supposed to fit in, and he let the other cats be the alpha trio. He stopped purring or sleeping with me, and would whimper when I petted him. He also turned to comfort eating and got FAT. It's been a year now, and he's mostly used to the other cats: they've agreed to let him dominate the bed, he spends all his time next to my computer, and he purrs--although only sometimes. I try to spend extra time with him (daily naps with just the two of us under the covers), and always greet him first, feed him first, etc.

Spike answered on 6/4/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer