my cat got out and now his claws look like they were removed by a rock. All of them?

Gigi, my 5 yr old indoor cat, got out. We live in a 'city' neighborhood and he's normally a very vocal cat, always shadowing you, and nudging, purring, laying on your lap, etc.

So a day later he returned. I brushed him, put on a new flea collar and he just ate some food, and slept for two days straight. My wife and I joked about the hangover he must have. I would find him and stroke him and he seemed fine, just really tired or wiped out or something.

I thoroughly look him over, no wounds, no limping, but hes been licking one paw a lot. So I checked that.

To my shock, his claws are gone. ALL OF THEM. It looks like someone just snapped em off with a pliers, only a few odd fibers stick out. Like someone ripped them out. even those two 'thumb' claws on his front legs, those are gone too. Did he just gnaw them all off with his teeth(?), or maybe he ran and skidded on asphalt all night and that wore them down to the nubs?

Im confused. Hes recovering. What happened??

Asked by Member 1005736 on Sep 27th 2010 Tagged missingclawstornrippedcathealth in Emergencies & First Aid

Answers

gracie tatanka

it could be anything he could have slipped off a ledge or a tree twisted and got hooked on the one paw his weight could then snap the claws like you describe.as long as there is no inflamation or bleeding thy will probably grow back fine. any inflamation take strait to vet for antibiotics or if theres bleeding change kit lit for news papers. even though he isnt limping if he is licking that paw a lot its either very tender or it is bleeding hes just getting rid of it before you can notice it.injured cats can be very sneaky when it comes to hiding whats wrong! good luck and let us know how you get on.

gracie tatanka answered on 9/27/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

I hate to say this, but I cannot imagine any kind of accident or fight that would result in the loss of ALL his claws. I strongly suspect that he met up with some cruel person (being a friendly cat, he would have been an easy catch), and that person (probably a teenaged boy or boys) cut or ripped off all his claws. He was sleeping for two days because he was in shock and pain. I'd advise you to do three things. First, take him to the vet ASAP, to make sure he doesn't have an infection or any other injuries you haven't detected. Ask the vet if he/she thinks the claw loss is due to abuse. If so, contact the police. Animal abuse is a crime, and animal abusers can become people abusers. Third, for his sake and yours, make sure he doesn't get out again. You're lucky you have a sweet cat who doesn't seem to be afraid of you after being traumatized. Purrs!

Chibi answered on 9/27/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

This really is no joking matter. If you haven't taken your cat to the vet, you really should do so now. He may have injuries beyond what you can see. You also need to notify your local animal control officer, through your police department, that you suspect your cat was caught and abused. They should be made aware that a sick individual may be in your neighborhood. If would take an extraordinary amount of running and/or skidding to completely wear down his claws. It sounds more like someone caught him and pulled them out.

Gracie

Agreed with the other posters. It doesn't sound like an accident, and given that he spent two days just sleeping, it sounds like whatever happened was pretty traumatic. Please do take him to a vet to make sure he's not battling any internal injuries that might have been caused by abuse.

We'll be purring for Gigi for sure.

Gracie answered on 10/1/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer