My cat goes into other yards and last week=end some kids got her and put her in their shed.

I rescued my kitten 4 months ago and she was used to going out but now I would like to train her to stay inside.

Asked by Member 1131317 on Sep 18th 2012 in Bringing Your Pet Home

Answers

I have to tell you that you and your kitten are lucky that ALL the kids did to her was put her in their shed. As a former animal welfare volunteer, I could tell you MANY horror stories. For her own safety, if she is a friendly cat and goes up to people, you must keep her inside. She won't be happy. She's used to the freedom of the outdoors and doesn't realize how dangerous it is. You have to make the inside more appealing than the outside with things to climb on, window shelves to sit on and watch "cat t.v.", playtimes, etc. And, you must be very vigilant when you open doors or windows that she doesn't make a break for the outside. I adopted 2 older outdoor cats a few years ago and one was so desperate to get out she chewed through our windowscreens. I lost both of them on the road and it was very traumatic. You can contact local shelters and your vet for advice on how to make the transition easier.