My cat eats a diet that's mainly raw shrimp. When desperate, she'll eat American sliced cheese and her dry food - Iams

Asked by Member 778412 on Dec 10th 2008 in Raw Food

Answers

Most people who feed a raw diet use a prepared diet that includes the vitamins and minerals that cats need plus taurine. If she's mostly just eating raw shrimp and some cheese then she really isn't getting the nutrition she needs. I would also be concerned with the parasites that can be found on raw shrimp. I would try her on a better quality dry food or even canned and maybe she will like it better than the IAMS. Innova EVO is grain free and is nutritionally similar to a raw diet but with the convenience of dry kibble. And there are several other good quality foods that don't contain all the grain and gluten of commercial foods found in the supermarket.

You can go to Catster forums and click on the Food & Nutrition and Raw Food Diet pages. There's a lot of fabulous information on those pages--great discussions and advice on how and what to feed your kitty. Keep in mind that if you give her access to "human" food like cheese, you are giving her access to human food and there may come a time when she won't be happy with her own food.

Charlotte & Winston

Wow. That sounds like quite the diet combo. Pretty scary, really.

To be honest, if I were a cat, I wouldn't want to eat Iams either. If you absolutely must feed kibble, please please please feed a grain free version such as EVO or Wellness CORE. If I were you, I'd switch to one of these or a canned diet or, if you can commit to it, a raw prey model diet. This means you've got to get a variety of proteins with bone and organs included.

Don't sell your cat short. Would you eat a diet that looked like that? I don't think so. Your cat is depending on you to provide for her. I know that you can do better!

Charlotte & Winston answered on 2/7/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 1 Report this answer

Spot (aka Madame Fifi)

Your cat is not getting the nutrients she needs on a diet of raw shrimp, American cheese and Iams kibble--this is a very unhealthy diet! Make up your mind what kind of diet you want her on, commercial (boo) or raw (yay!) and start transitioning her immediately. It takes time and patience but you want the best for your cat, right? Remember, you are the one in charge even if it mostly feels like she is!

some resources:

www.rawfedcats.org
www.feline
www.onlynaturalpet.com

Spot (aka Madame Fifi) answered on 5/5/11. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer