my cat doesn't like to be petted, brushe,carried, basiclly she doesnt like any thing. what is wrong with my cat?

why is my cat so particular

Asked by Member 784493 on Dec 29th 2008 Tagged myweird, particulaandcrazycat in Other Behavior & Training

Answers

Cats are very independent and opinionated and there is often not much you can do to change that. Did you get her as a kitten? Part of what makes a cat affectionate or not is her conditioning as a kitten. Being held and loved as early as possible. But it may also be affected by where she came from. A kitten of a feral mother will have an instinctive fear of humans no matter how much you try to teach them love and affection. All of mine were raised exactly the same but Bailey gets very nervous if you try to pick her up when she did not ask for it. She is very cuddly if SHE decides to be, but prefers for it to be her decision. But she is also the easiest to groom and will let me do anything to her. On the other hand, her sister Allie can be picked up and held by anyone who will pay attention to her but she bites and yowls when you try to groom her. All you can do is be patient and don't force unwanted attention on your cat.

I agree with Allie. Oscar J. is a very loving and affectionate cat, but on HIS terms. We got him when he was five months and he was part of a feral colony.

Sometimes you need to think about how you live and what your household and home life is like. Do you have other animals? Children? Do you allow your cat to be chased, teased or otherwise harrassed? Has your kitty been to the vet's to make sure she isn't sick? Do you play fun games like laser and feather on a fishing pole ("teaser") with your kitty? If your cat was never socialized in your home and made to feel like she's a part of your family, it could be why she just likes to be left alone. And, it could just be her personality.

Some felines just don't like to be held or cuddled. Whether this comes from a bad past experience or a deeper instinct, you will just have to accept your kitty the way she is. To help her warm up to you, start offering her yummy treats at the same time each day. Hopefully, eventually, she will start coming to you at the same time each day asking for her daily treat ( tuna packed in water is a favorite ). Make sure to set up a followed routine to make her more comfortable in her evironment, also be sure to keep stressors to a minimum- she might be feeling too vulnerable in her environment to have the time to bond with you or any other person. Natasha was a rescue from a shelter- it took her years to get used to be- but now, we can't be separated! As long as you are patient and loving, your cat should come around in time.

Bailey

I am the same way. I was/am feral. I live inside with Mom and Daddy because I was being abused by the kids outside and they rescued me.

I don't trust anyone. I don't like anyone. I don't like those two little monsters that have moved in with us (AKA Shai Ming and Akira).

I will sit on a pillow on Mom's lap as long as she is parked and not planning on moving for awhile. Do not touch me with a brush, or it's a bandaid moment. Walk by me when I'm grumpy, grab another bandaid.

This is how I am, and how I will always be. Mom and Daddy have tried all the tricks to get me to calm down and now they have just decided I'm going to be how I am.

When they are allowed to touch me, it's a huge deal and they make a big fuss over it.

Sometimes, us kitties are just .... well, anti-social. Even tho I am like this, my Mom and Daddy still love me.

They claim that my grumpiness is just part of my character and charm MOL!

Bailey answered on 12/29/08. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I just want to say there is nothing wrong with your cat. Cats are independant and most of the time like to be left alone. What you need to do is get her used to people and hopefully she will like to be around them. Good luck!

~Rocker~

Cats are very independent. There is nothing wrong with your cat! If your cat is a female here are some reasons. 1. Females dont like to be held in certain sopts. 2. Female cats under 3 re particular because they can still go through heat cycles.
Males are just picky. Don't feel bad cats are weird!

~Rocker~ answered on 1/25/10. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer