My cat doesn't like my boyfriend. What should I do?

My cat (Oliver, about 9 months old) doesn't hate my boyfriend (Brian) but he certainly doesn't like him! Oliver is relatively friendly with new people- he'll approach them and play with them for a bit- but he doesn't want to be around Brian. Sometimes he'll let Brian pet him, but it's rare. Usually if Brian picks him up Oliver will leave right away even though Oliver will let strangers hold him for a short period of time. It's like Oliver is giving Brian the cold shoulder!

Oliver is my first cat (I spent 19 years with dogs and got Oliver about 2 weeks after my 20th birthday) so I'm not as sure about cat behavior as dog behavior.

I know he's going to be more friendly with me than anyone else because I'm his mommy, but Brian was in my life before Oliver and Brian is here a LOT, so it's not that Oliver isn't used to Brian. Obviously if he wasn't an animal person I'd understand, but Brian LOVES animals and is really hurt by Oliver's rejection.

Asked by Member 1211474 on Feb 4th 2014 Tagged boyfriend, training, dislike, help in Behavior & Training

Answers

You can't push the issue; let the cat own his feelings. Whenever my cats didn't like one of my boyfriends, the guy ended up being a creep. If you want them to get along better, the boyfriend should not be over to your place more than twice a week, so that the cat doesn't feel like he is losing any territory to this person. Cats have instincts that we don't, and it best to trust Oliver, because Oliver will be around long after the guy is gone (again). ^_^