my cat does not like to be held or picked up what can i do to make her want to be held?

shes 15 pounds and skweeks everytime i pick her up

Asked by Member 832099 on May 1st 2009 in Fears & Phobias

Answers

Freddie Fudgemiceter

15 lbs is a big cat and some large breeds are just naturally "four on the floor". Mannie and Freddie are both uncomfortable being held for any length of time but this is normal for their breed. If you are concerned that this may be a health issue and not normal for your cat I would recommend calling your Vet.
I however do not try to change the nature of my cats, instead we enjoy hours of sitting next to each other and this is where I can love them best.

Freddie Fudgemiceter answered on 5/1/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

I agree with Freddie. Cats are very opinionated and each one is unique. I have two who love to be held in my arms like a baby, one who only likes to be held if it's her idea, and two who love to be picked up but will only stay up for a minute and then wiggle to be let down. All of them love to cuddle on their terms if I am sitting down and they decide to join me, just not by being forced into it. You have to respect what the cat prefers. If your cat is 15 pounds then she's already an adult (?)and is unlikely to change that. Just show her affection the way she likes it.

I have to agree with the other answers here: there isn't anything you can do to "make" a cat like being held (or anything for that matter). I have a young female right now who doesn't care to be picked up although she is very affectionate and cuddly. Her housemates, two large males, I can tote around all day; they just lay limp in my arms and purr the whole time. Maybe you just have a cat who will love to sit by you and cuddle.

HENRY DIED 9-6-09

Hi there! Sometimes cats have their strange ways only they would know but I have one now, Henry, and is 15 yrs. old and weighs 12 lbs, he is not fat by no means, and the first 5 or 6 years, he did not want to be held but as he got older the more he could not stay off of us and now he just jumps up all the time so it could have something to do with age also.
You didn't say how long you had yours but probably when it gets older, she will want to be held all of the time, but it always has to be in their time, lol. good luck and God Bless!!

HENRY DIED 9-6-09 answered on 5/1/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Boris

We have a big kitty (13 1/2 lbs.) too. He's not fat, just a log lean cat. Still, he prefers it to feel supported if we are going to pick him up. If your cat is anything like him, you have to be sure to pick her up by supporting her whole body.

My husband's a pro at this: he puts an arm under Boris' body, and uses the other to cradle whatever side is not lying right against him. It makes Boris feel very stable, which means that he has come to trust my husband enough to allow himself to be carried around for a whole minute or so. It isn't very easy to do, it takes lots of practice. I'm not as good at it as my husband is, which means that with the same technique I can just do a quick grab and drop.

Even so, you can tell that Boris is just not very much into being held and picked up, and is glad to be put back down. He still snuggles though, which means that we let him get love on his own terms, and save being picked up for when there is a specific need to transport him around.

Boris answered on 5/1/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

FOXY

Your cat might not like the way you are Holding her. Cats are extremely picky,And delecate. Or it might not feel sucure in your arms. 15 Pounds is a lot and big cats are hard to hold without them slipping.

FOXY answered on 6/19/09. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer