My cat digs litter out the litter box and makes a mess I need help !!??

Asked by Member 1167101 on Apr 25th 2013 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Unfortunately, dealing with litter box issues and messes is one of the pitfalls of being owned by a cat. Izzie "zen gardens" as they say and sometimes is in the box scratching and rearranging the litter so long I want to offer him a newspaper or magazine. Delilah doesn't cover at all. And, I've plugged up many a vacuum cleaner with litter! You can try a deeper litter box and use less litter. A cat really only needs about 1 1/2" of litter. They'll use more if you pour it in there, but then when they cover, out it goes. I've used a rug under the boxes but then I have to carry the rug out and shake it outside. Usually (insert deep, resigned sigh here), I just keep my small "Shop-vac" handy and when I scoop, I also do a quick vacuum. Some may recommend a covered box, but my cats hated them and it was $20 wasted. You can try it and always remove the cover if she doesn't like it.