My cat didn't knead before 2 years of age. Why is that?

Asked by Member 1150549 on Jan 17th 2013 Tagged kneading in Behavior & Training

Answers

I have often commented here that if we knew why cats do what they do and published a book about it, we'd sell enough copies to pay off the national debt. Catsters say that kittens and cats knead for comfort. A kitten will knead it's mother's stomach to activate the milk fountain. But in your cat's case, it's probably a comfort behavior. Lizzie kneads, too, claws out. I just grit my teeth and bear it. Delilah and Izzie never have. Something might be stressing your cat out a bit, or it might be a little left over Holiday stress. If the behavior escalates and you notice he's really not behaving as he usually does, you may want to call the vet for advice. But for right now, I'd say he's just kneading for comfort. Give him a few extra cuddles.