My brother rescued a cat,about 3 years old. She hops in his lap and enjoys being petted but after a few minutes she tur

Asked by Member 1001330 on Aug 20th 2010 Tagged baringteeth, hissing in Aggression

Answers

My Delilah has been known to do the same thing, especially when being brushed. This is why she was at the shelter for over a year, because she bit people when being petted. She's calmed down a lot in the 3 years I've had her, and your brother's cat may also. It's important that he not try to restrain her in any way--such as hugging or holding her on his lap. I always tell both my cats "NO BITE!" when they do that. You might also want to suggest that your brother take this cat to the vet's if he hasn't already. She may have been injured while outside and when he touches that spot, she reacts. When your brother sees the signs that she's about to let him have it, such as bulging, wide-open eyes, ruffled fur, growling, ears down, tail-switching back and forth, tell him to stand up, even if she falls to the floor and leave the room. Cats hate to be ignored. He'll have to keep a close eye on her and watch for those signs.