My beautiful and very healthy 18 year old cat, howls at night. It is intermittent, but it repeats itself thru the night.

Night time howling

Asked by Member 490582 on Oct 26th 2007 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Nine - beloved bridge angel

I've been reading a book called your aging cat recently and it mentioned that sometimes older cats will start doing that and it could be a number of things like losing vision, hearing, senility. And to bring cats in for a senior exam. I don't know an exact answer. Sometimes I play with my cats more in the day to tire them out so they will sleep through the night. (doesn't always work as you can imagine.)

Nine - beloved bridge angel answered on 10/26/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Patience

I am an 18 year old cat, and I do this, and other older cats in my family in the past, that have done this too. One vet told me I am Senile.I regularly stand in the middle of the floor and forget where I am, and start yowling. Sometimes after I do this, I have to poop on the floor, or throw-up. I am always constipated. I also don't hear, see, and smell anything very good anymore.

Patience answered on 10/26/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Take your cat to the vet twice yearly for proper exams and bloodwork. Since 18 years old is very elderly for a cat, catching any diseases early is the best way to keep your cat living longer.

After your cat has been given a clean bill of health, all you can do is stoke your feline and hold them close, let them know that everything is alright and that you're always there for them. Sometimes old cats get very worried or forget where they are- be sure to comfort your cat in these times.

Hunter

Vocalisation appears to play a big part in the ageing process. Two thirds of the cats surveyed use more sounds to get food and attention. As cats get older, their owners become more and more in tune with their needs and cats soon learn to play on this. It is not unusual for a variety of noises to be used if they result in attention, affection or food. Only 4 per cent of those surveyed said their cats called less, the remaining third felt they were calling about the same as they always had done.

(not enough character spaces...I'll continue on the next answer)!

Hunter answered on 10/27/07. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer