Oliver

My adult male cat is pulling out his hair on his lower tummy

My cat Ollie is pulling out all of his leg and lower abdomen hair. We just move to a new home. He isn't around other cats anymore or allowed outside anymore. Could this be why he Is doing this ?

Asked by Oliver on Jan 15th 2014 in Behavior & Training

Answers

My male cat does this as well. We've tried EVERYTHING. We've also brought him to two different vets. Each one said it's either allergies or stress. We've narrowed it down to flowering plants. Got rid of those and the licking has almost stopped. Now we notice it only pops up when there's lots of changes in his world (travel, people in the house, etc). The vets said it was perfectly normal.

My friend's cat has a balding tail and lower tummy from the same thing, due to stress. He was prescribed kitty prozac and took a pill inside of a pill pocket each day, and the hair has almost grown back. The prozac will also help the cat with moving and car rides also, so speak with your vet about a prescription to help this guy out! ^_^

I think you should not worry about your cat. It is just a behavioural issue in your cat. But still if you are afraid then consult with the vet.