My 8 year-old neutered male cat poops on the floor but pees in the box...what can I do?

This behavior has been going on for months. Vet said Chuck has got arthritis in his hips. What we've tried: pain meds & anti-inflammatories, new litter boxes, new litter in litter boxes, empty litter boxes, newspaper covering floors, locked him in a room with litter box for 3 days, had him on Prozac for 6 weeks and lastly had a chiroprator work on him. And he's still pooping on the floor; once in a while he'll use the box. Background: he and litter-mate sister were inside-only cats with walks outside on a halter/leash. This Spring we let them out while we were outside and this has continued almost daily since then. Also, there are three feral/strays who live on our back deck; I visit them several times daily to feed. These three cats have become very friendly since Spring; I can pet them and they come when called. Years ago Chuck had urine crystals, UTI, and he ate a toy once that fortunately passed without surgery. Maybe he associates pain when pooping? Territorial marking?

Asked by Member 1143501 on Dec 3rd 2012 Tagged inappropriateelimination, middening in Urine Marking & House Soiling

Answers

It's unusual for a cat who is marking his territory to use feces rather than urine-spraying, but they do it. I'd venture a guess that there is no one solid answer to this. Part of it is habit. Delilah uses my bathtub regularly AND the box as well. Izzie will spray when he sees our neighborhood outdoor cat. I have to say that unless it's diarrhea, I'd rather clean up poop than scrub walls and floors to try to get rid of cat pee. JMHO. Being an inside/outside cat will increase the need for him to mark, though. And be prepared if you are feeding these cats that at some point one may have kittens in your yard or pass on fleas or illness to your cats. If these cats are friendly, perhaps you might consider taking them to a vet and having them altered and vaccinated. You certainly have done everything possible to correct his bad habit although there are other anti-anxiety meds that could be tried. If you feel he's having painful movements, maybe your vet could suggest a diet change?