Shu Shu

My 7 year old cat lost her top right canine tooth

I found the tooth on the floor today - root looks like it's attached. I looked in her mouth and there is a huge hole where the tooth looks like it just fell cleanly out. My cat has never acted like she's in pain, nor has she ever stopped eating or drinking water. She lets me touch her mouth where the tooth came out and it doesn't seem to cause her any pain or discomfort. A few months ago the vet suggested a teeth cleaning because she said my cat has the beginnings of gum disease. I instead opted to try her out first on special food for dental health. I noticed that her gum is red where the other canine is, so I guess I have to bring her in to get her teeth cleaned. I'm concerned because they have to put her on general anasthesia. She reacts badly when she gets vaccinations and has to be given an antihistimine to prevent allergic reactions, so I'm very worried how she will react on general anaesthesia. Help!

Asked by Shu Shu on Aug 4th 2013 Tagged lostteeth, dentalcleaning, generalanesthesia in Health & Wellness

Answers

I thought Orion (age 7) was going to need to be put under for his first dental cleaning, but I was pleasantly surprised last month. Sedation dentistry exists for cats as well as humans, and it's half the price. Tell your vet dentist that you would like her to have the gas but not be put under during your consultation, and see what s/he says! Greenies dental chews are recommended by the vet dental council and will help maintain your pet's cleaned mouth, plus they come in three new flavors, including catnip! ^_^

If your vet says anesthesia or even sedation is necessary, since Shu Shu already has some concerns, ask if your vet can do what mine does. She does a complete physical exam including a blood work-up to make sure there are no underlying issues which could cause problems during the procedure. It's under $100 (at my vet) and it's worth it for the peace of mind. But she does need to go in because adult cats don't normally lose teeth unless there's an injury or an oral health issue. Untreated, it can lead to infections and other problems. Chews and diet are fine, but usually work better for prevention rather than cure.