My 7-month old cat is suddenly crying whenever I am not in the same room as him.

My 7-month old neutered male cat cried outside our bedroom door all night, and this morning cries every time I go in the room. He and his twin are usually quiet except for in the mornings when they want their food :) We did have an overnight guest sleep on our couch last night, where they usually sleep, so could that have upset or confused him? I am just concerned about this behavior because my husband's cat began crying for attention all the time after developing a tumor (she was 16 years old, though). I know it's just been one day of this, but I have never before had pets and am such a worrier when it comes to them.

Asked by Member 1067299 on Oct 30th 2011 in Noisiness

Answers

As long as your babies aren't showing any other symptoms of any health concerns, I wouldn't be worried about it. Cats are creatures of habit and the overnight guest could have upset him. We probably wouldn't like it if our pets had overnight guests and when we retired for the night, found them all camped out in OUR bed ;-) Of course, your kittens should be well established with their own vet by now, and if they show any signs of illness, you should contact the doctor. But, I wouldn't worry about anything serious being amiss. Kittens, like human babies, do demand a lot of attention. Just about the time we get used to playing with them and having them underfoot and into our business, they grow up and spend their days on the windowsill or asleep on the back of the sofa! Spend some quality time with this little guy, assure him that all is well, and unless you are violently opposed to an animal in your room at night, let him snuggle w/you.