My 6 year old neutered male can poops on the bathmat even when the litter box is freshly cleaned. We do clean the box ev

My 6 year old neutered male can poops on the bathmat even when the litter box is freshly cleaned. We do clean the box every other day We have used Fresh Step litter from day on. Scrubby does share the litter with my deaf kitty Charlie

Asked by Member 1066819 on Mar 4th 2014 in Behavior & Training

Answers

Moose

You might try giving your cats two litter pans located in two different places in the house. (The ideal number of litter pans is one for each cat plus one extra litter pan.) Some cats are super finicky about their litter and you may have to try scooping daily too. Also consider having the vet check a sample of your cat's stool for worms. A wormy cat will often poop outside the litter pan.

Moose answered on 3/4/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer

Cats will eliminate in the same area if they smell their own urine or poop. You need to wash the mat with a pheromone removing product, because animals smell way better than we do. If that does not work, put a doggy pad on top of the same spot. My blind cat did not want to use the box after she lost her sight, so I put out pads where she was having accidents, and it work great until near the end of her life. ^_^

Each cat should have their own litter box. I also clean my litter box once a day. I do have a small arden, but my kitten does use it regularly.

I'd also do what other suggested: clean the mat or maybe get a new one. My old cat used to have accidents and, while the smell on the sofa couldn't be removed, we did clean out bathroom floor with the special cleaners. It worked, the cat didn't pee in the bathroom anymore.

Nicholas

I agree with the previous answer but also get rid of the bathmat as the smell will make him go back to it even if it has been washed. But yes, another litter box with about 2 inches of litter and try not to use covered litter boxes...cats generally do not like those and will look elsewhere to go.

Nicholas answered on 3/17/14. Helpful? Yes/Helpful: No 0 Report this answer