my 6 month old kitten will take my fingers in his mouth and pull them way back to the top of his throat and then lick an

Asked by Member 1138401 on Oct 30th 2012 Tagged chewing, fingers, sucking in Behavior & Training

Answers

When kittens become very "oral", it usually means they were separated from mom and weaned before they were ready to be. I had a friend whose cat, at the age of 3, would sit on her shoulder and suck on her earlobe. She didn't mind but it kind of weirded the rest of us out. Like Linus and his blanket, it's a comfort mechanism the cat has adopted. Since you don't want to teach your cat to put human body parts in his mouth (at some point as he grows he might start biting)try substituting a stuffed animal or a towel or washcloth. If you keep it in your drawer with your clothes for a few days, it will take on your scent and be more appealing to him.